Monday, September 13, 2010

New ideas and new ecosystems

After its ten year long international research program, the Census of Marine Life has released a database, the Ocean Biogeographic Information System, a study of marine species in 25 key global ocean areas across the world in which they cataloged the biodiversity and distribution of marine life. 

What caught my attention is the fact that animals such as whales, turtles and walruses only account for about 2 percent of the known species in the 25 areas, whereas crustaceans account for a whopping 20 percent. It broke my heart to read that the "top 5" areas containing the widest range of species are areas such as the Meditteranean, China and the Gulf of Mexico which are also are most some of the most threatened areas in the world due to impacts such as pollution, overfishing and invasive species.

I came across this video and I found it interesting, so I thought I'd share it. The species pictured throughout the video blow my mind. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a senior at Columbia College as well as an ocean fanatic. Whether it is environmental issues, discoveries of new species or just general news, I have a deep compassion for the sea.