Thursday, September 30, 2010

Unda da sea

Who knew that coral reefs made sound? According to an article I was reading earlier, scientists are able to tell whether a reef is stressed or healthy based on the sound alone. How cool is that? When I think of ocean sounds I think of whales and dolphin communication, but little did I know that the fish and invertebrates actually produce noises in "clicks" and "grunts." When the sounds are low frequency, there is generally a larger fish population in the reef community, however if the sound is high frequency level there is a larger coral population.

What I really loved is that after studying fish one scientist observed that after weeks of being away from the reefs, fish were returning to find ones to settle into based on the sound. I think it's great that fish assess the situation before finding the neighborhood they wanna chill in. Too funny =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a senior at Columbia College as well as an ocean fanatic. Whether it is environmental issues, discoveries of new species or just general news, I have a deep compassion for the sea.